Saturday, September 18, 2010

What is your reform "Superman"?

My favorite shirt-sighting at the LA Times protest. 
Emerson students got back to school this week and the nation is abuzz about public education.

On Tuesday, here in LA, several Emerson teachers joined UTLA at the LA Times to protest their education series which published teacher rankings based on student test scores.  In DC, many blame school chancellor Michelle Rhee for the election loss of Mayor Fenty and hope this result might change the tide for "reform" education policy.  And in Philadelphia, President Obama addressed students with a message about the importance of education in pursuing their dreams. 

But the buzz that is growing in our national media and about to swarm around us is the upcoming release of the movie Waiting for Superman.  This documentary from the director of An Inconvenient Truth is garnering lots of national attention for taking a pro-charter, anti-teacher stance on the education "reform" debate.  Ed. Secretary Arne Duncan even called it his, "Rosa Parks moment" and he's getting all kinds of grief for that.  Prepare to hear lots about this documentary on an NBC education panel and on Oprah. 

Doesn't look like many parent or teacher voices will be heard as this conversation about education reform goes national, but here at Emerson Advocates, we want to know what you think.

What reforms would you like to see at your public school to improve the quality of education for our students?

2 comments:

  1. My reform? I want a reform that gives me the power to create the school my community wants for our kids. I want the arts, sports, and critical thinking within a diverse community. I want my hypothetical children to be excited about school, to learn as much socially as they do academically. I don't want the focus to be on test scores, but on project-based learning, field trips and how to make their big dreams a reality. That is what quality education reform looks like to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want an education for all students that meets their individual needs. Those needs may be social and/or academic. I wish for a school that is able to provide more than academics - one that easily guides access to health care, counseling, exercise for mind and body and that is a place where all families and students feel part of our community.

    ReplyDelete